Jarrett Walker has been designing or redesigning successful transit networks, in cities of many sizes, for over 20 years, and since 2011 Jarrett Walker + Associates has established a strong track record in transit network plans. These plans always include a highly integrated public engagement component that helps citizens and local leaders grapple with the real tradeoffs that transit network design requires.
These efforts have always included extensive data collection, public consultation, and iterative network design cycles to build ownership and support. Planning tasks are generally conducted on-site working intimately with client staff to understand community geography and values.
JW+A Studies (since 2011)
- Houston Transit System Reimagining. A total redesign of the bus network for the 4th largest city in the US. With TEI.
- Edmonton Transit System Review. A review of the Edmonton Transit System (ETS) network including scenarios illustrating a range of future options, and a series of City Council workshops.
- Indianapolis (IndyGo) Comprehensive Operational Analysis Update. Short-term and long-term recommendations for the evolution of the Indianapolis transit system, including revised downtown routings for a new transit center and longer-term scenarios that work with proposed rapid transit options.
- Salem, Oregon, Comprehensive Operational Analysis. Network redesign for the transit system in Oregon’s state capital.
- Raleigh, NC: Wake County Transit Investment Strategy. Transit investment and network design plan for a future sales tax referendum in North Carolina’s capital. With Kimley Horn.
- Bellevue, Washington. Developed a series of service scenarios, including a range of tradeoffs, for this high-tech suburban city adjacent to Seattle. Included Stakeholder workshops and workshops with City Council.
- Fresno, California. Strategic Transit Plan, with Parsons Brinckerhoff. Scenarios illustrating future service options, and short-term redesign recommendations.
Earlier Jarrett Walker Studies
Prior to founding JW+A, Jarrett led major network planning efforts that were successfully implemented in the following places.
Large Metro Areas
- Minneapolis-St. Paul
- San Antonio
- Auckland, NZ
Greater Los Angeles suburban areas
- San Bernardino-Ontario (Omnitrans)
- Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys (Foothill Transit)
- Antelope Valley (Antelope Valley Transit)
Sydney suburban areas
- Western Sydney
- North Shore
- Spokane, Washington
- Boise, Idaho
- Reno-Sparks, Nevada
- Monterey-Salinas, California
Small Cities with Universities
- Bellingham, WA
- San Luis Obispo, CA
- Davis, CA
- Corvallis, OR
- Fort Collins, CO
- Pullman, WA
Other Small Cities and Rural Areas
- Darwin, NT, Australia
- Chico-Oroville, CA
- Grass Valley, CA
- Yreka-Mt. Shasta, CA
- Union City, CA
- Las Cruces, NM
- Port Angeles, WA
- Port Townsend, WA
- … and many, many others.