Álvaro Caviedes is a transit planner and data analyst at Jarrett Walker + Associates. He contributes experience in urban planning, social equity, statistical and spatial analysis, cartography, and research in North and South America. He is also skilled and programming and automation of large analysis tasks. Álvaro holds a dual master’s degree in Urban Planning and Civil Engineering. He has also helped JWA creating products and translating documents into Spanish to reach a broader audience.
Master of Urban and Regional Planning, Portland State University, 2017
Master of Science, Civil Engineering, Portland State University, 2017
Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Universidad de los Andes, 2012
|2019 – present||Senior Associate, Jarrett Walker + Associates|
|2018||Data Analysis Intern, Puget Sound Regional Council|
|2017 – 2018||Consultant, Inter-American Development Bank|
|2014 – 2017||Research Assistant, Portland State University|
Spatial and Transportation Data Analysis
Álvaro is skilled in statistical analysis, data visualization, spatial analysis, and GIS. His experience in JWA and with prior employers includes:
- In depth service analysis, job access analysis and data visualization for Chicago Transit Authority and the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (2019-present).
- Evaluation of potential transit priority measures for the City of Portland, Oregon (2019-present).
- Data analysis and cartography for a transit network redesign for Miami-Dade County, and creating public materials in Spanish (2019-2020).
- Existing transit analysis for the Sarasota, Florida, Transportation System Plan (2019).
- Assisting in the development of a displacement risk analysis for the Puget Sound Region in Washington state (2018).
- Supporting the development of policies to support accessible and equitable public transportation in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and Bogotá, Colombia (2018).
- Exploring accessibility needs and public transportation gaps for women in several cities in South America (2017).
- Collaborating in a research to identify risk factors that contribute to pedestrian and bicyclist crash severity in Oregon State Roads.